Near Vicksburg, May 30, 1863.

DEAR SIR: It affords me great pleasure to send you a report of the part taken by the Twenty-eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry in the battle of Champion's Hill, May 16, 1863.

Champion's Hill is situated about 9 miles (on the railroad) east of Big Black River, and about half-way between Bolton and Edwards Stations.

We had been making a feint on Edwards Station on the 12th and 13th, so as to give General McPherson a better chance to enter Jackson, and on the 15th we marched on the Jackson road as far as Clinton, where we turned on the Vicksburg road and marched as far as Bolton Station, where we encamped for the night (our division being in the advance).

The next morning, after marching about 3 miles, we came up with the enemy's pickets at Champion's buildings, and drove them in. Here the Twelfth Division formed in line of battle, our regiment taking position on the left of the Forty-seventh Indiana, in the Second Brigade. At 10 a.m., after a short delay, the word "Forward!" was given, and we moved nearly a mile by the front, firing becoming brisk. Company B, of our regiment, was sent out as skirmishers, and found the enemy in force on our front and left. We then, by order of Colonel Slack, of the Forty-seventh Indiana, commanding brigade, passed to the left of the Fifty-sixth Ohio (which placed us on the extreme left of the division), and engaged the enemy, our left resting on the north of the Raymond road. There we found the enemy in large force, ready to receive us. After a few minutes of hard fighting, it became evident that the enemy were trying to turn our left, particular attention being paid to that particular point. We succeeded in driving them back. About this time the enemy appeared to be largely re-enforced, and we were compelled to fall back on account of the murderous flanking fire on our right, to which we were at this time exposed. We then moved to the right and formed on the Clinton road, where we held them in check until re-enforcements arrived, when we drove them from the field in confusion.
As to the battle of Port Gibson, the officers and men conducted themselves like veterans.

Our loss in killed, wounded, and missing was severe. Four companies of the regiment came out of the fight without a commissioned officer. Lieut. John J. Legan, of Company A (Captain Shutts acting as major), was killed while gallantly leading his men on; Capt. Benjamin F. Kirby, of Company I, was also killed while doing his duty nobly; Lieut. John Buchanan, of Company H, lost his arm; Capt. John A. Staley, of Company F, was taken prisoner while crossing the field north of the Raymond road, gallantly disputing the advance of the enemy. Our greatest loss was while we were charging across an open field between the Raymond and Clinton roads, and while we were falling back. Our regiment fell in in good order, considering the ground, and rallied around the old flag at the first call, and on the second charge, together with the Seventeenth Iowa, the boys raised the Iowa shout and drove the enemy from the field in confusion.
I append a list of the killed, wounded, and missing.(*)

I remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

First Lieutenant and Adjutant Twenty-eighth Iowa.

Adjutant-General of Iowa.

| Home | Grant's March | Pemberton's March | Battle of Champion Hill | Order of Battle | Diaries & Accounts | Official Records |
| History | Re-enactments |  Book Store |
Battlefield Tour | Visitors |

Copyright (c) James and Rebecca Drake, 1998 - 2002.  All Rights Reserved.