| Home | Grant's March | Pemberton's March | Battle of Champion Hill | Order of Battle | Diaries & Accounts | Official Records |
| Killed | Kaleidoscope of History | Re-enactments & Events | Books & Gifts | Battlefield Tour | Visitors |
"Grant's crown of immortality was won, and the jewel that shone most brightly in it was set
Major S. H. M. Byers, Fifth Iowa Infantry
"THE HILL OF DEATH" read by
Edwin C. Bearss, Historian Emeritus, National Park Service
at Champion Hill
October 22, 1925 — October 7, 2006
Salvaging the Charm, Dot
Cockrell's Counter Attack
Historic Marker Placed
The new historic marker, “Cockrell’s Counterattack” has been placed on the Old Jackson Road between the Cross-roads and the Hill of Death. To date the Champion Heritage Foundation has placed ten historic markers on the battlefield.
Bowen's Counter Attack
Historic Marker Placed
The new historic marker, “Bowen’s Counterattack” has been permanently placed at the Crossroads within sight of the 2013 marker, “The Fight for the Crossroads.” To date the Champion Heritage Foundation has placed nine historic markers on the battlefield.
Lt. S. E. M.
From the Guernsey Times (Cambridge,
This extraordinary letter, written by former English army officer Stephen E.M. Underhill to his mother in Coldstream, Scotland in the waning days of the siege of Vicksburg, gives a lengthy account of Underhill's experiences during the Vicksburg campaign while serving as an aide-de-camp to Brigadier General Stephen D. Lee. The 21-year-old Underhill resigned his commission in the British army and entered the Confederacy through the blockade at Charleston, South Carolina in January 1863, journeyed to Mississippi and gained an appointment to Lee's staff. Underhill gained favorable notice from Lee for his "gallantry and efficient service" during the campaign and following his parole at Vicksburg, he was commissioned as a first lieutenant of cavalry and eventually became colonel of the 65th Alabama Infantry.
By Sue Burns Moore
On a warm spring day, May 16, 1863, Brigadier General Lloyd Tilghman’s artillery, composed of the six guns of Capt. James J. Cowan's Company G, First Mississippi Light Artillery, and two guns of Culbertson’s Company C, Fourteenth Mississippi Artillery Battalion, held the critical burden of defending the only escape route to Vicksburg open to Pemberton’s badly outnumbered Confederates --- the ford at Baker’s Creek. Tilghman held a strong position, but the Federals pounded the Mississippians relentlessly with shot and shell from their position at the Coker house as the great Battle of Champion Hill raged on.
RECORDS OF EVENTS AND MUSTER ROLL OF
Company Report for Oct. 27, 1862 to June 12, 1863, shows station of company, Camp on Bogue Phalia, Bolivar Co., Miss. Record of Events: “On Friday the 20th day of February lost a small portion of the Company under command of Capt. Herndon, had a skirmish with a small party of Federal troops at the house of Col. F. A. Montgomery, near the Mississippi River in Bolivar County. After skirmishing for about one hour the federals reinforced by several companies from their boats, lying about one mile below; when Capt. H. with his command, fell back in good order. No one was hurt on our side. Federal loss one man killed & two wounded.”
By Bertha Lewis
A Memorial Poem
Medallions are now available for purchase by the public.
Plain Medallions ~ $20
Medallions in presentation boxes or on plastic presentation stands ~ $25
Send a check payable to the Champion Heritage Foundation,
Rebecca B. Drake
P.O. Box 336
Raymond, MS 39154
$100 per person (minimum of 2)
The Rebel Sister of
By Rebecca B. Drake & Sue B. Moore
Darwina's Diary: A
View of Champion Hill ~ 1865
The Civil War Letters of Sid and Matilda Champion
Copyright (c) 2018 James and Rebecca Drake